It’s really amazing and gratifying how I was able to cook Ddeokbokki (떡볶이, Korean rice cake in spicy sauce). I saw this dish in one of the shows I was watching in M channel and funny how I craved for it even without having tasted it before. I knew I had to try it out on my own. Immediately the following day, I went to a Korean Store in BGC called Sun-Han Mart to buy these ingredients:
• 1Kilo Ddeokbokki (Korean Rice Cake) – must be cylinder shape
• ½ Kilo Assorted Fish Cake
• 500 grams Korean Paste (Gochujang) – we will only use 1/3 cup so it won’t be too spicy
• 7 large size dried anchovies – Actually hindi ko talaga kilala si anchovies, pucha pag-search kay Google – DILIS lang pala ito. hahaha
• 6 x 8 inch ng dried Kelp (seaweeds)
• 1 big onion – cut into 3 inch long pieces
• 5 boiled eggs (optional)
• Grated cheese (optional)
• 3 table spoons sugar (more or less depending on how sweet you want the dish to be)
• 1 table spoon hot pepper flakes
Here are the steps I undertook in making my first ever DDeokbokki:
1. First, make sure you are able to buy all the ingredients listed above.
2. In a pan, pour 4 to 6 glasses of water then add the anchovies and dried kelp. Boil for 15 minutes to extract the flavor from the kelp and anchovies.
3. In a separate pan and burner, make hard-boiled eggs. If you only have one gas stove/burner, you have no choice but to wait until the Deokbokki recipe is finished…para sa mga Purita Mirasol)
4. Add 1/3 cup of Korean chili paste (gochujang) to the boiling water with kelp and anchovies. Add sugar to taste and mix.
5. After 15minutes have elapsed, remove the anchovies and kelp from the broth. You will only need the broth. Gagamitin mo lang sila kumbaga…tapos ay itatapon din. #hugot
6. Add in the Korean rice cake and assorted fish cake. Carefully but thorouggly mix for about 3 minutes.
7. Allow to simmer until the rice cakes become soft enough and the broth becomes thick. This should take you about 15 to minutes. If the broth becomes too thick, just add some more water and adjust the sweetness accordingly.
8. Once the rice cakes become soft, you will also notice that they will become shining, shimmering and splendid. This means they are perfectly cooked.
9. Add the grated cheese (Eden Cheese ang gamit ko) to add more flavor and umami (taray…umami).
Not bad for a first time, right? So, kapag kayo din ay nanaginip o makapanood ng isang uri ng pagkain, lutuin agad para hindi mapanis. Anjan naman si Google para i-guide kayo. Just follow my simple guide…in fairness, my loyal fans who tried ddeokbooki for the first time like me said it was…perfect. hahaha